Graduating at Axini
Axini is an Amsterdam-based technology spin-off of the University of Twente. We develop software engineering tools that apply academic formal methods in practice. In particular, we focus on model-based testing and model driven engineering. Our tools are used for major Dutch companies such as ProRail and Achmea.
As a result, we have both a lot of theoretical knowledge on formal techniques and hands on experience with software testing in the real world. This mix results in interesting research topics for graduation projects. Get more theoretical by diving into formal methods and model checking or tackle the testing or modeling challenges of the real world.
Axini has hosted many graduation projects over the years. We have a lot of experience that allows us to help students get the most out of their project. All our students have graduated successfully. See our track record below.
We have good connections with universities (University of Twente, Eindhoven University of Technology, University of Amsterdam) and research institutions (TNO, CWI) and we participate in European research projects such as TESTOMAT, Allegio and Reflexion. Most of our colleagues have a background in academia, be it as a teacher, PhD or master student. We know what research is like and can get you in contact with the people you need to make your project a success.
During your project you can experience what life is like in a product software company focused on craftsmanship and continuous improvement. We have a friendly, informal environment and flexible hours. Colleagues and students can choose to work from home for parts of the week.
We offer students the following:
Possible research topics
We offer a wide range of research topics, both theoretical and more practical oriented.
If you have a different topic in mind that you think might fit us, we would be very pleased to hear it.
Would you like to know more or discuss your ideas? Get in touch with Machiel van der Bijl.
Read the work of your predecessors to get inspired.
- 2009 Floor Sietsma: A Case Study in Formal Testing and an Algorithm for Automatic Test Case Generation with Symbolic Transition Systems
- 2010 Jasper Hendriks: Risk Reducing Test Case Generation for Model-based Testing
- 2011 Machiel van der Bijl: On Changing Models in Model-Based Testing
- 2011 Lennart Tange: Test-Based Modelling – Learning a Model From a System’s Implementation
- 2013 Vincent de Bruijn: Model-Based Testing with Graph Grammars
- 2013 Carsten Ruetz: Model Checking of Symbolic Transition Systems with SMT Solvers
- 2014 Johanneke Lamberink: Using Decision Tables in Model-Based Testing
- 2014 Kevin de Berk: Model checking test models
- 2015 Bas Meesters: The Visualization of Symbolic Transition Systems
- 2015 Kai Bakker: Reachable States for Symbolic Transition Systems
- 2016 Jorge Mora Perdiguero: Development of an Efficient Data Coverage Strategy for TestManager
- 2016 Ardavan Ghaffari: Trace Coverage Strategy for Symbolic Transition Systems
- 2017 Stan Janssen: Transforming Source Code into Symbolic Transition Systems for Practical Model-Based Testing
- 2017 Peter Verkade: Model-Based Unit Testing using Decision Tables
- 2018 Martijn Willemsen: Improving Diagnosis by Grouping Test Cases to Reduce Complexity
- 2018 Aswathy George: Process Mining in Model Based Testing
- 2018 Dennis van der Werf: Visualizing Symbolic Transition Systems
- 2019 Sjoerd van der Heijden: Trace Collection and Data Coverage for Model Based Testing
- 2019 Jouke Roorda: Model Based Testing distributed Identity and Access Management software: Verifying OIDCfed
- 2020 Florine de Geus: On the Use of SMT Solvers in Model-Based Testing
- 2020 Lars Meijer: Test case shrinking for Model Based Testing on Symbolic Transition Systems
- 2020 Wouter Bohlken: Model-Based Fuzzing Using Symbolic Transition Systems
- 2021 Tobias Bachmann: Translating SysML models into Symbolic Transition Systems for Model-Based Testing
- 2021 Xavier van Dommelen: Model-Based Testing of Internet of Things Protocols
- 2022 Lucas Steehouwer: Finding Deadlocks in Open Input-Output Symbolic Transition Systems by Model-Transformation to Promela
- 2022 Mark Bebawy: Testing Strategies and Coverage Metrics in Model Based Testing
- 2022 Sky Sarah van Grieken: Encoding hashes in an SMT-solver using Z3
- 2022 Marko Milardić: Model-based Testing of Interoperability in Internet of Things Protocols